Sunday, May 9, 2010

beardyman

Being an avid music fan for as far back as I can remember, I've searched for artists that were different and pushed the envelope. It's been getting harder to find artists who impress me; and in my opinion this is partly due to an innovation drain, and that I've experience so much music it takes quite a bit to perk up my ears.

I discovered Beardyman while investigate Tim Exile. Both terrific artists, but what strikes me about Beardyman is his ability to create all instalments and textures using his voice. These two artists share the ability to create, record, and mix music live. By using a Kaos pad both artists record everything live, mix it, layer it and create a wall of sound all on the fly. Beardyman's ability to use his mouth to create all instruments, record them into the Kaos pad and completely improvise shows a kid who uses technology as tool and not a crutch. This is true artistry. Beardyman and others to follow will help move music and performance into a new direction when so many artists follow a formula. I understand the elements, like beat boxing, used by Beardyman are not new, but the way they are put together is fresh and interesting.

Beardyman is about 28 years old and has been interested in sound effects since the 80's from watching Michael Winslow in Police Academy. Originally interested in comedy he found he had a talent for beat boxing. He is known to incorporate comedy into his acts and some shows he's performed are more comedy routines than beat boxing. He is originally from London and as far as I know hasn't done many, if any shows in the U.S. However, you can catch him on YouTube, click on the first Beardyman in this blog and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Try this working link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvvX_yUNL1M&feature=PlayList&p=6907EB175D5529A4&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

    ReplyDelete